Expo Offers Free Info, Resources to Seniors
AAA joins Lovin' Life After 50 to present 24th annual event
Phoenix, Ariz. Jan. 18, 2012. In less than 10 years, one in four drivers will be age 65 or older, making senior driving health more critical than ever. To help seniors and families prepare for the road ahead, AAA Arizona is teaming up with Lovin’ Life After 50 to sponsor the 24th annual Lovin’ Life Expo in Sun City on Tuesday, Jan. 24.
“Research shows that a third of Americans don’t know where to turn for information on senior driving issues,” said Linda Gorman, communications and public affairs director for AAA Arizona. “As the sponsor of this event, AAA hopes to raise the visibility of resources that can help families address real and perceived challenges associated with age and driving.”
The 24th annual Lovin’ Life Expo will be held on Tuesday, Jan. 24 at the Sun Dial Recreation Center, which is located at 14801 N. 103rd Ave. in Sun City. Doors will be open from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. Admission and parking are free.
AAA’s traffic safety resources will be featured in the center pavilion of the expo and offer a hands-on opportunity to sample the club’s collection of research-based resources, including:
- Roadwise Review. A computer-based screening tool that allows users to measure the functional abilities scientifically linked to crash risk among older drivers.
- CarFit. A community-based program that offers older adults the opportunity to check how well their personal vehicles “fit” them for maximum comfort and safety.
- Smart Features for Mature Drivers. A guide that identifies vehicle features that can assist drivers with visual, physical and mental changes that are frequently encountered with age.
- SeniorDriving.AAA.com. A simple-to-navigate online resource that offers expert advice and tools to help families navigate the issues associated with senior driving and mobility.
- DriveSharp. Acomputer software program that focuses on the visual systems in the brain that are essential to safe driving.
- Mature Driver Online Safety Course. An online course for drivers age 55 years or older that includes driving safety instruction and information on state specific motor vehicle laws. Offered by I Drive Safely, the course can qualify individuals for a discount on their auto insurance.
- Keeping the Keys. A workshop focused on aging and driving that reveals tips, tools and resources to help mature drivers recognize and address age-related issues, and learn how to extend their safe driving years.
The expo will also feature raffle prizes, food, entertainment, and hundreds of vendors, including AAA Insurance, Vacation Planning, Car Buying, Financial Services, Membership and Discounts.For more information on the Lovin’ Life Expo, visit lovinlifeafter50.com/expo. For more information on AAA’s senior driver resources, visit az.aaa.com/news/traffic/seniordrivers.htm.
AAA Arizona, the Arizona affiliate of AAA, provides automotive, insurance, vacation planning, discounts and financial services to more than 800,000 Arizona members. Annually, AAA’s Roadside Assistance responds to more than 450,000 calls across the state. In 2008, AAA was ranked the No. 1 “socially responsible” brand by Landor’s BrandAsset® Valuator. In 2010 and 2011, AAA Travel earned Lovin’ Life After 50’s favorite travel agency category in the publication’s annual reader’s choice awards. Since its founding in 1927, AAA Arizona has been a leading advocate for the safety and security of all travelers and the motoring public.