Happy Birthday, AAA Arizona
Auto club celebrates 86 years, highlights milestones
Phoenix, July 31, 2013. AAA Arizona turns 86 years young this month. To celebrate its birthday on July 31, the auto club is taking a drive down memory lane; looking at its roots in roadside assistance to its growth in insurance and auto repair. Additionally, the club has a special offer for new members.
“In a state as young as ours, not many companies can boast a history like AAA’s,” said Mike Tully, president and CEO of AAA Arizona. “We’re proud to have provided 86 years of trusted, reliable service to our Arizona members, and look forward to continuing our legacy.”
To commemorate its birthday, AAA Arizona is looking back at the way things were, how they are now, and highlighting some fun facts from the club’s history:
- There were four Arizona State Highways in 1927: SR-73, SR-83, SR-87 and SR 89A. Today there are 79.
- A gallon of gas cost 21 cents. With inflation, this would be about $2.72 per gallon in 2013. Today’s statewide average is $3.552 per gallon.
- AAA Arizona opened its first club-owned and operated repair facility in 2004. This month, the club opened its seventh facility.
- AAA Arizona has been creating TripTik® Travel Planners since it opened its doors in 1927.
- In 1963, AAA adopted a formal rating system for TourBook guide accommodation listings. The system evolved into the AAA Diamond Rating System for lodging in 1976.
- As a full-service travel agency, AAA books more than 3,600 cruises and 5,300 tours and gives out around 284,000 maps and TourBooks each year.
- AAA has served as a full-service insurance agency in Arizona for more than 40 years.
- Three things consumers may not know we insure: Boats and small businesses and RVs.
- Most common auto insurance claims include: glass claims, driver rear-ended and a collision with a fixed object.
- AAA Arizona’s roadside assistance trucks hit the road in 1927. Its fleet is the largest in the state.
- The club responds to nearly half a million calls for roadside assistance each year.
- AAA roadside replaces more than 74,000 tires each year, 50,000 car batteries and more than 4,000 windshields.
Membership and advocacy achievements:
- AAA Arizona began with 237 members and one office in downtown Phoenix. Today the club has 11 offices and serves more than 845,000 statewide.
- AAA Arizona’s Member Discounts program launched in 1993 with 10 local partners. The program has grown to 210 partners at more than 500 locations statewide.
- AAA Arizona led the way for the implementation of key traffic safety laws including: Graduated Driver’s Licensing, the Move Over law, and Booster Seat law.
The club is also celebrating its birthday in each of its offices. Everyone that stops by a AAA office on July 31 will be entered to win a free Classic membership. New members can get a AAA Classic Membership for 13 months (rather than 12) with no enrollment fee and a free associate membership – a savings of $45. New members who enroll in automatic renewal can also get a $50 dining card. Join online using offer code EBMZ. Offer valid through August 31, 2013.
AAA is a “go-to” source for information on automotive, insurance, travel, traffic safety, discounts, financial services and gas prices. Learn more at AAA.com.
AAA Arizona, the Arizona affiliate of AAA, provides automotive, insurance and travel services to more than 840,000 Arizona members. Annually, AAA’s Roadside Assistance responds to more than 450,000 calls for help on Arizona roadways. The auto club also provides discounts and financial services to AAA members. Since its founding in 1927, AAA Arizona has been a leading advocate for the safety and security of all travelers.